Dorset SEND has issued the following information:
Following the announcement from Government that children and young people with an Education, Health and Care Plan can continue to go to school, if they cannot be safely looked after at home, we are working hard on plans to support children and families.
The government is asking parents to keep their children at home, wherever possible, and has asked schools to remain open only for those children who absolutely need to attend. This is vital to our efforts to protect vulnerable people. Here is a message from Theresa Leavy, Dorset Council Executive Director for Children's Services, explaining our approach.
Message from Theresa Leavy, Dorset Council Executive Director for Children's Services:
You will have seen that schools are closing across the country due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
The Prime Minister announced on Wednesday evening that schools will remain partially open for children of key workers and for vulnerable pupils, including those with an Education, Health and Care Plan, (EHCP), who cannot be looked after safely at home.
Since this announcement, we have been working hard with leaders from schools, early years settings, colleges, health and social care to put plans into place for our children and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans in Dorset.
As you will appreciate, this is a fast changing situation but what we are able to tell you now is:
- Our schools are leading on talking to parents and they will be giving you information about what will be happening
- All schools will be opening on Monday. We will be monitoring the situation and if things change, schools will be in touch with you.
- Schools are staying open in order to provide support for those children who cannot be safely looked after at home. Families are not expected to send children to school unless they have no safe alternative.
- School transport will continue to operate for those children eligible to come into school.
This is a fast moving situation , so please:
- Keep in touch with your school
- Keep checking the Dorset Council website
We know that these are worrying and uncertain times for you all. Thank you for your understanding.