The Community Radio Station covering Central-Southern Dorset, run by volunteers and not-for-profit

KeeP 106 logo
listen-live-online-button.-Player-opens-in-a-new-window
Towards Dorchester from Ridgeway
Dorchester from The Keep
Queen Mother Square
Custom House Quay, Weymouth, England
Chesil Beach from Portland
The Little Keep
OB car and banners
Lions Summer Fest
Tutankhamun Exhibition
A sign board
Judge Jeffreys restaurant and lodgings
The Corn Exchange
The Old Tea House
Nick Billings at The Mayor's MishMash
Andy S & Andy W in Boro Gardens July 2024
Rob Mott, Steve Bulley and Dave Goulden
DTC 50th Anniversary in Borough Gardens 2024
Towards Dorchester from Ridgeway
Looking towards Weymouth and Portland from Hardy's Monument
Dorchester from The Keep
Queen Mother Square
Custom House Quay, Weymouth, England
Chesil Beach from Portland
20180728_092244087_iOS
OB car and banners
Lions Summer Fest 05
Tutankhamun Exhibition
Way signboard
Judge Jeffreys
Corn Exchange
Old Tea House
Nick Billings at The Mayor's MishMash
Andy S & Andy W in Boro Gardens July 2024
Rob Mott, Steve Bulley and Dave Goulden
DTC 50th Anniversary in Borough Gardens 2024
Exit full screenEnter Full screen
previous arrow
next arrow
The Community Radio Station covering Central-Southern Dorset, run by volunteers and not-for-profit

Keep your chimneys fire-safe this winter

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging local people to take care with open fires in the home after a number of chimney fires over the weekend.

Open fires are a warm, welcoming addition to the home, but they do carry risks. If you have an open fire, you should:

Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers;
Make sure that embers are properly put out before you leave the property or go to bed; and
Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.

Group Manager Graham Kewley said: “A combination of colder weather and trying to keep costs down means people are more likely to be lighting fires or using woodburning stoves. Chimneys should be swept twice a year as a minimum to remove accumulated soot and tar, as well as making sure that the chimney is clear of debris.

“Green, or unseasoned, wood, shouldn’t be used as it smoulders with long burning embers and produces a lot of creosote and not much heat. Build-ups of creosote in a chimney or flue can become highly flammable and dangerous. You should also avoid burning painted, coated or treated wood, as this can release harmful gases.”

Another danger is the storage of wood and other fuel immediately next to a woodburning stove, as heat can build up and lead to a fire igniting.

Blocked or defective chimney flues also carry the risk of leading to carbon monoxide poisoning so, as well as getting chimneys swept, people are encouraged to fit smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

Further information on keeping your home warm and safe this winter can be found at www.dwfire.org.uk/save-safely

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service logo